These snippets will be in 140 characters or less, the allowable length of a tweet.
If you see one of them on Twitter or Facebook, please retweet or share to help raise awareness to your friends and family who may not know much about diabetes.
12. In many parts of the world, a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in a child is a death sentence. Access to insulin and testing supplies is limited in some developing nations.
13. Life For a Child is one organization that helps get insulin and supplies to children throughout the world who would die without it.
14. Annually, November 14 is World Diabetes Day. 11/14 is the birthday of Dr. Banting, who with Best, discovered insulin in 1921.
15. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 in essence states that people with diabetes cannot be discriminated against because of their medical condition.
16. A 504 plan is a fluid document put in place in school to ensure that children with diabetes are given the same opportunities as other students.
17. The 504 plan at school plan spells out which staff members are trained in a child’s care and the accommodations must be made to keep the child safe at school.
18. Every school that receives federal funding must allow a child with diabetes a 504 plan. This includes private schools that get even a dime of funding.
Diabetes Awareness Month Posts
World Diabetes Day Posts