Last week I asked:
How often does your d-kid get to interact with another child with diabetes?
I’m switching gears this week…
Recently on Twitter, my friend Ginger Vieira who is the community manager for dLife, in addition to writing and v-logging at Living in Progress, asked if we’d rather eliminate low OR high blood sugars. I was very quick to respond:
I’d say low blood sugars bc they pose an immediate threat. High BG’s can be corrected. I’d rather Q be high on a playdate than low!
If you could say that Q would never have a low BG, it would give her every freedom other kids have!
For me, I feel that most of Q’s restrictions come from not wanting her to go low when she is with someone who isn’t trained to respond properly. If she didn’t go low, then she could get dropped off at gymnastics or day camp or girl scouts or a play date. I can deal with a high blood sugar when I pick her up, if that’s the case.
But people get very nervous about how to test her blood sugar (if Q isn’t capable) and heaven forbid, how to use the darn Glucagon kit! Not to mention that it completely freaks them out when you use the words unconscious and seizure.
And I get very nervous that the situation won’t get handled!
My question this week is:
If you could eliminate low blood sugars OR high blood sugars from your child’s life with diabetes, which would you choose?
According to those who responded to the survey, 60 percent would rather end low blood sugars, while the other 40% would end high ones. The comments here and on Facebook were interesting and I think that (and this is my unscientific observation) that many parents of younger children want to eliminate lows because of immediate threats and the possibility that their young child can’t handle it themselves (or that caregivers can’t), while parents of older children aren’t as worried about that.
I’d love for you to leave a comment telling us which you choose and why.
Have an idea for a Sunday Survey? Please let me know.